One of our core values at Pattern Energy is to be good neighbors to the communities we serve, and in Missouri, we are proud to operate Lost Creek Wind in DeKalb County.
Our employees are members of the community, and in today’s newsletter, we are sharing resources that support those who are experiencing food insecurity.
What is Food Insecurity?
Food insecurity is defined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a, “lack of access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life.”
Some people might experience an “income shock,” such as a traumatic accident, loss of a job or other life event that affects their ability to earn income. Others may suffer from poverty, or perhaps inflation has made it harder to make ends meet. The point is, whether long- or short-term, people may need assistance obtaining the food they need.
Food Bank vs. Food Pantry
A food bank is a non-profit organization that safely stores large amounts of food, often millions of pounds worth. The food they have in their bank is delivered to food programs in their community, and those usually include food pantries.
A food pantry is a distribution center. It is the place hungry families and people go to receive food. Supplied by food banks and various other resource drives, a food pantry can feed hundreds of people per week.
Anyone experiencing food insecurity can reach out to a local food pantry for assistance. Food pantries are different in every community, and sometimes people don’t know where to start or where to go for assistance. Some food pantries are located in schools, some are free-standing buildings, etc.
From the most recent data available for DeKalb County, approximately 10.3% of the population experiences food insecurity, which translates into over 1,200 people. Below is a list of area food pantries available to assist. Whether you or someone you know might be in need, this list can be a useful tool for now and in the future.
- Living Hope Food Pantry & Thrift Store
- 118 W. Main Street, Maysville, Missouri 64469
- Harvesters Community Food Network
- Multiple locations in their network, check website for up to date information
- Stewartsville Food Pantry
- 401 S. Main Street, Stewartsville, MO, 64490
- Cameron Food Pantry & New Life Shoppe
- 302 N. Walnut Cameron, MO 64429
- InterServe Calvin Food Pantry
- 5400 King Hill Ave., St. Joseph, MO 64504
- Patee Park Food Pantry
- 1107 S. 10th Street, St. Joseph, MO 64503
- Interfaith Community Services
- 200 Cherokee Street St. Joseph, MO, 64504
We hope this list of resources serves as a useful guide should you or anyone you know require assistance.